Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Why I love my job


I have the best job on Earth! I love, love, LOVE being a dog groomer!
I am a quiet person. One who likes to be in the background, observing, taking everything in, figuring out who I like, who I don't, who I'm comfortable around, who I'm not. I am not a person who can go anywhere and be immediately charismatic, charming and secure. I'm just not.

But every day, I meet new people and I have one thing in common with these people I meet. I love their dogs! Even the ones I hate, I love!

I've watched these dogs and their people and I have come to realize a couple of things.

#1. Some people have an unnatural attachment to their animals.
#2. Their animals know this....and use it.

Every morning when the little darlings start rolling in for their appointments I witness some of the greatest snow jobs ever. You would be amazed at how these dogs work their owners. These are some of the finest actors known to man...yet their people don't believe it.

Fifi comes in once a month, with her owner Andi. Fifi seems nervous and she starts shaking and sometimes will cry a little bit. Andi, naturally, feels HORRIBLE for Fifi. She feels guilty and starts baby talk (in a pitch I might add, that the dog probably can't hear) but Fifi just keeps on shaking. Andi picks her up and Fifi nuzzles her head deep into Andi's neck and chest, as if to say

"Don't abandon me Mommy! I love you! What did I do to deserve this? Have I not slept on your lap for the last three years, faithfully? Religiously? Have I not been your constant companion on many summer walks? Have I not given you hours of amusement and allowed you to dress me in fur and put bows in my hair? Only for you to do this to me? To bring me here?"

I pry Fifi from Andi and tell her, "This is all for your benefit. The second you leave, she is fine...I promise you."

Upon which Andi replies, "I feel so bad leaving her! She is so scared!"

Fifi sits on the floor shuddering and occasionally standing on her back legs, spinning in a circle with her taught leash pulling my arm out of the socket. I convince Andi to leave,

"She'll be fine the second you are gone, I promise."

Unconvinced, Andi leaves the shop and in the last second, turns to see Fifi, defeated, now happily leading *ME* back into the groom room. Satisfied that all of her efforts have failed and she is indeed going to be groomed today. This happens every day, with nearly every dog and it never gets old. That's how I know....it is the greatest job ever!

(Names have been changed to protect the innocent.)

2 comments:

Elizabeth Downie said...

Ha! I love it! When I used to baby-sit, I found that kids would do the same. They'd whine about their parents leaving then as soon as their parents were gone, they were totally fine and happy.

I bet you're so good at your job! If I ever get a dog, I'm taking him/her to you!:)

Katherine said...

That's hilarious! I have definitely known some people who treat their dogs better than some people treat their children...it's a little crazy! That's funny about the dog dancing around, too! That seems like a job!